Sunday, May 1, 2016

Whole30 - Day 8

Day 8 - Saturday.   Saturday is "Donut Day" at our house.   On most Saturday's, my youngest son and I head out around 9AM and get a dozen donuts.  Chocolate frosting, raspberry cream, more chocolate frosting.... very nice.

This Saturday, my son slept in and I took the dog to the dog park for a 2 mile walk.   Just as I was leaving, I got the text... "Donuts??".   Since the grocery store with the best donuts was on the way home from the dog park, I stopped and picked up 1/2 dozen, figuring that most oldest son was out of town and my wife and I would definitely not be participating.  

Didn't really have the desire to eat a donut on the way home and felt pretty good about passing on what used to be a good sugar high on most Saturdays.

In the afternoon, my wife and I did some shopping and stopped by Whole Foods while were we out.   I was starting to get hungry (I'm still trying to learn how much to eat so I don't get hungry in between meals) and had a Lara bar.   These are good, not really recommended on Whole30 just because it is snacking, but I like them because they are easy to carry with me and get me out of driving through McDonald's or BK when I am hungry.

When we got home I decided to take the boys to the movie theatre.  I knew this would be the mother of all tests, because there is very little I like more than movie theatre popcorn.  I used to get a large bucket (no "butter") and add some extra salt and have that entire thing gone before the movie even started.

Driving there, my boys were joking with me and asking if I was going to be able to make it through the movie without popcorn.  No problem... little did they know but I was bootlegging a bag of cashews and apricots into the movie theatre just in case.  

We go up to the counter, order a large popcorn and 2 bags of sour worms and a soft drink.  While I'm waiting for the popcorn, my boys take the cups for soda and disappear.  Next thing I know, I standing there holding a large popcorn and two bags of sour worms.   I have to be honest, there were a number of minutes that I seriously thought about sticking my head into that bucket and eating like a horse....   That got me to thinking, if taste is 80% smell, what if I stuffed a couple of pieces of popcorn up my nose and then ate my cashews... would it taste like popcorn??  After some healthy debate with my kids, I decided to forgo my experiment since that is not how sane people behave.

Proud to say, Day 8 was in the bag.  Another temptation conquered!!

No comments:

Post a Comment