Saturday, April 23, 2016

Whole30 - What am I doing & Day 1

Background --    I am coming up on my 50th birthday, am the heaviest I had been in my entire life, and am struggling with POTS and IBS (sorry, not pretty getting older....), and work a high stress job with long hours.   WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY YOUTH??

I haven't always been like this.   In my 20's and 30's I exercised and kept my weight around 195 lbs.  At 6'2" tall, I wasn't super trim, but wasn't busting a button on my shirt when I bent over to tie my shoes either.   Then came kids, and a high stress career in management.   Next thing I know, I'm pushing 230lbs (ok... 240lbs), don't have a lot of energy and have some health issues that I attest to being "almost 50".    I don't like how I feel, but don't have a lot of time or will power.

I keep thinking that I would start exercising "next Monday" set a goal of getting in the best shape of my life before I turn 50- and of course always had a good reason why I couldn't start.   Then Tuesday, Wednesday would come around and who would want to start an exercise program mid week... not me.   Heck, I'm at a point that I get excited when my S-health app on my phone says that I walked 5,000 steps in a day.

I have never been a super healthy eater.   Sure, I would have the obligatory salad once a month, or maybe eat a carrot stick or two with some ranch dressing, but I usually gravitated to meat... sausage to be specific.   Pepperoni was a staple and throw some pepper jack cheese and a couple of beers into the mix and I was calling that dinner.


So about a week ago my wife starts talking about our Pastor and his wife and how they have started Whole30 and have lost weight and are feeling great.   She said that she wanted to try it and what did I think.   I said "sounds good honey, have fun" and proceeded to wolf down half a bag of potato chips.

Today is Saturday - April 23rd.   I got up today and my wife had made a Fritatta and asked if I wanted some.   "Sure can... any sausage in that..."   They I start thinking, what am I going to do?  I'm overweight, unhealthy and getting older by the second.   My wife starts talking about Whole30 again and I tell her that I am in.  I'll do it, how hard can it be.   So starts Day One.

Luckily, my wife is an awesome cook.   So far today I have had more vegetables in one day that I've had in the past month (or year, who is counting).   She has spent quite a bit of time trying educate me on what is good to eat and what to stay away from.   We went to the store so I could visualize what to eat while traveling on business, looked up restaurants and prepped me on how to order a Whole30 meal while out.

Not sure about no beer for 30 days, but I've switched over to club soda with a lime, traded my potato chips for cashews and have gone cold turkey on the sausage.     It's 10PM, I'm getting ready for bed and I AM HUNGRY.... my wife says I'm not eating enough healthy fat and not enough calories.   I'm learning... only day one.   How hard can it be....??


No comments:

Post a Comment